Podcasting. It’s the way to bring a “radio show” to the internet masses. Since 2004, when the word first appeared in a newspaper article. In spite of the fact of going mainstream after the word “podcast” appeared in a newspaper article in 2004, podcasting began many years before that. And until recently, I didn’t get it. I didn’t see the value in listening to a podcast. I always understood the value of a webinar. It’s visual and audio learning combined. It’s just like being in a classroom, except on my own time. Podcasts were a whole different animal to me. But I also don’t listen to audio books.
Things have changed. Drastically.
Why, you ask, have things changed? Very simply, because I have experienced the podcast. I have learned from the podcast, and I’ve even argued with one (only in my head, however). Podcasts are great ways to listen to interviews of people that are sought after speakers within your field. They are great ways to learn new facts and to stay current, since the best podcasts are released frequently (most are weekly). They are also great ways to pass the time while exercising or traveling.
So, what do I think are the top 6 social media podcasts today?
6. The BeanCast Marketing Podcast – A weekly roundtable discussion featuring people from marketing, advertising and public relations.
5. Six Pixels of Separation – This podcast, by Twist Image has won numerous awards, and remains a top podcast covering blogs, viral marketing, SEO, and anything else related to digital marketing.
4. Inbound Now – A podcast from Hubspot, bringing the latest in inbound marketing and social media.
3. Social Media Examiner – Mike Stelzner recently launched a podcast to help your business use social media.
2. Social Triggers Insider – A podcast from Derek Halpern, who helps businesses use psychology and human behavior to help attract leads and close sales.
1. Social Pros – This podcast is from Jay Baer (Convince and Convert), and delivers exactly what they promise – real people doing real work in social media.
Any list of podcasts would not be complete without mentioning TED. So, my “one more” is:
TedTalks podcast – These are the audio recordings from the amazing TEDTalk video presentations. Not to be missed.
How Do I?
Now that I have your interest in podcasting, how do you go about listening? It’s actually very easy, especially if you have an iphone. Apple has recently released a stand-alone podcast application, which makes it dead-simple to download and listen to podcasts on your schedule. Check out the app here: Podcasts by Apple. If you have a Blackberry, feel free to check out BlackBerry Podcast.
Now that Labor Day is upon us and the summer is ending, why not use this opportunity to check out these great podcasts. And, please let me know what other podcasts have caught your ear, and share them below! Have a great holiday!
- Podcasting & Podcasts
- Podcast — Wikipedia
- Six Pixels of Separation
- Inbound Now
- The BeanCast
- Social Media Examiner
- Social Triggers Insider
- Social Pros
- TedTalks podcast
About Craig Yaris
Craig E. Yaris is the owner of EsquireTech Solutions, which helps small business get found on the social web, whether through Facebook, Twitter, or LinkedIn, he can both teach you the effective use of any social network or act as your social media manager, enabling you to reach your clients where they are and when they want to hear from you. He can teach your organization the social media best practices that can help you use the tools of today to cost-effectively increase your bottom line. EsquireTech Solutions brings the social web to your business. Visit EsquireTech Solutions or call 516-495-9107 .