You’re logging into a website. Uh oh, what’s my username and password? Maybe it’s xyz, enter. ‘Username or password invalid’. Maybe it’s abc, enter. Again, ‘Username or password invalid’. Fiddlesticks. After exhausting all possible username & passwords, do you abandon the website or click ‘Forgot Password’, go into your email, retrieve the confirmation link, return to the site and reset the password only to forget it the next time. This lengthy guessing game is most unwelcome for internet users and not good for the bottom line of companies. This scenario has happened to all of us at one point in time. We were curious to know how often so we set out to better understand the frequency of forgetting usernames & passwords and the probably of site abandonment. The results to our survey are below.
- Online users have too many usernames & passwords to manage
- Online users forget passwords often leading to frustration or annoyance and possible abandonment, in other words, lost sales… shriek!!
- Social login has reached a little more than half of internet users
- Those who have used social login feel that it makes logging and sharing easy
- Almost half of internet users who have never used social login would prefer to use social login over creating a username & password
What Does This Mean for Marketers?
Every consumer centric company’s goal is to over-deliver on the consumer experience. An unexpected touch, go the extra mile, ‘wow’ the consumer. Evoking negative emotions such as frustration, worry or annoyance in the consumer can have a reverse desired effect on engagement, retention and loyalty. All pivotal elements to the bottom line. Social login eliminates the risk of abandonment, brings a website one step closer to being social with their customers and avoids users having to remember yet another password all the while collecting valuable social data.
Hallelujah! Is social login the answer?
Yes, in combination with the traditional username/password login. There will always be online users who are comfortable using username & passwords or aren’t active on social media. Offering both options is the best case scenario to eliminate all username & password issues.
Learn more about Lanoba’s social login here.
Beth Thouin is Marketing Director at @lanoba. She is unearthing social profile data and sharing influencers using social login. She loves her customers, all things social and her kids, Lucas and Eliana, the world’s best huggers.
- The Freaky, Forgotten World of Abandoned Websites
- Revive the Abandoned Website – Warrior Forum
- Reasons Why Website Visitors Abandoned their Shopping Carts
About Guest Blogger
This article is a guest post provided by a third party, its content was added to Digital Ethos to help provide additional information for our readers and followers. While the Guest Blogger posts do not undergo the same scrutiny as Authors and lack sources, the content was reviewed and approved as valuable to our mission.